[ISN] IT security officials share concerns

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Tue Oct 30 2007 - 21:24:51 PST

http://www.govexec.com/story_page.cfm?articleid=38409

By Heather Greenfield
National Journal's Technology Daily
October 30, 2007

Government chief information security officers offered examples of
emerging security threats they most worry about during an Information
Technology Association of America security workshop Tuesday.

Patrick Howard, CISO for the Housing and Urban Development Department,
said as more improvements are made to secure the perimeters of systems,
he worries about more attacks through applications -- especially Web
applications.

"That concerns me mainly because of the push to e-government," Howard
said. "Applications give a ready avenue to our data." He said in the
rush to make information out, holes are built in and there is inadequate
testing.

"You can't just patch this; this is custom code we're talking about,"
Howard said.

Both Joe Gerrity, CISO for the Securities and Exchange Commission, and
Michael Castagna, CISO for the Commerce Department, mentioned that the
increasing need to share information electronically has created
additional security issues.

"The need to know has shifted to the need to share," Gerrity said. "We
tend to trust everyone on the inside and no one on the outside."

He said mechanisms are needed to better evaluate outside risks. He also
is worried about people inside sharing information with those who seem
like they are part of the data-sharing group.

Castagna said risks increase as organizational boundary lines get
blurred. He said attackers would find an easy target by attacking at
that blurred line as responsibility is blurred, too.

Patricia Titus, the Transportation Security Administration's CISO, said
she is concerned about quantum computing that could "break encryption
and all the things we're doing now protect data."

Later she noted obstacles to security because of the need to interact
with outside entities and contractors, saying it is not realistic to
issue government laptops to all of them. "I'd love it if corporations
followed FISMA [the Federal Information Security Management Act] like we
do," Titus said.

Treasury Department CISO Edward Roback said the threats to privacy and
data that exist because of the declining cost of storage is a growing
problem that makes his list.

He also is concerned about security impact of "outsourcing and
outshoring" jobs. "It's continuing. It's accelerating," Roback said.
"It's buried in software and in hardware customer service."

But his biggest worry, he said, is "the internal competency of people"
He said it is a challenge to ensure that employees maintain competency
in a world of outsourcing.

CISOs also shared ideas for how to get funding from their agencies to
make security improvements. Roback said the good part of data-security
breaches is they "focus the attention of senior management.

Titus advised others to present security investments to their bosses in
terms of the cost of recovery from security breaches. "You really have
to take your tech security hat off and put your business hat on," Titus
said.

Howard said it helps to build cyber-security improvements into existing
modernization efforts -- rather than a stand-alone budget item.

CSI 2007 is the only conference that delivers a business-focused
overview of enterprise security. It will convene 1,500+ delegates,
80 exhibitors and features 100+ sessions/seminars providing a
roadmap for integrating policies and procedures with new tools
and techniques.  Register now for savings on conference fees
and/or free exhibits admission. - www.csiannual.com