[ISN] Secret Postman

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2007 - 01:02:20 PST

http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/news/newsfeed/2007/10/28/secret-postman-78057-20020907/

By David Taylor
Oct 28 2007

Exclusive - We Expose Royal Mail Security Shambles Our Man Handles Your
Letters Unchecked

DISASTROUS security lapses at the heart of the Royal Mail are today
revealed in a shock Sunday Mail investigation.

Our reporter strolled into Scotland's biggest sorting office and landed
a job by simply saying he was agency staff.

Incredibly, he spent an hour-and-a-half handling thousands of letters
and parcels - some with credit cards, voter registration documents and
sensitive NHS letters.

No one asked him for ID, no one vetted him, no one asked if he had any
experience - and his health and safety training lasted seven seconds.

Communications Workers Union boss John Brown said the breach showed the
Royal Mail had "lost the plot" after the postal strikes.

We tested out the Mail Centre at Springburn, Glasgow, after one
whistleblower claimed security was so lax that anyone could walk in
unchallenged.

He said the depot was in chaos after taking on 50 casuals to deal with a
backlog of 150,000 letters.

Our man arrived at the depot security gates at 6.55am on Friday. The
only thing he was asked for was his name.

For his health and safety briefing, he was shown where the fire door was
and told: "Be careful you don't get trampled by me on your way out if
there is a fire."

And he was handed a Royal Mail high-visibility vest and told by his
supervisor: "Stand there and look like you know what you're doing."

Within minutes, he was set to work sorting mail in the giant aircraft
hangar-style building.

In envelopes, he could feel what were unmistakably credit or bank cards.

He finally left after 90 minutes - and no one asked where he was going.
He could easily have stolen credit cards or letters.

Union chief Brown said: "Everything the management touch turns to mud.
They have lost the plot. We are seriously concerned for the safety of
members, given the terrorism threat.

"It wouldn't surprise me if you could do the same in units across the
country."

Watchdogs Postwatch will be demanding an explanation.

They said: "It's appalling - there could have been credit cards and
cheque books stolen."

Royal Mail said: "All our people are supposed to be vetted by the
agencies we use and we will be having an investigation.

"Security is of the utmost importance to us."

The main companies who supply workers to Royal Mail are Manpower UK and
Reed recruitment.

CSI 2007 is the only conference that delivers a business-focused
overview of enterprise security. It will convene 1,500+ delegates,
80 exhibitors and features 100+ sessions/seminars providing a
roadmap for integrating policies and procedures with new tools
and techniques.  Register now for savings on conference fees
and/or free exhibits admission. - www.csiannual.com