[ISN] Did NSA Put a Secret Backdoor in New Encryption Standard?

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Wed Nov 14 2007 - 23:04:51 PST

http://www.wired.com/politics/security/commentary/securitymatters/2007/11/securitymatters_1115

Commentary by Bruce Schneier
Wired.com
11.15.07

Random numbers are critical for cryptography: for encryption keys,
random authentication challenges, initialization vectors, nonces,
key-agreement schemes, generating prime numbers and so on. Break the
random-number generator, and most of the time you break the entire
security system. Which is why you should worry about a new random-number
standard that includes an algorithm that is slow, badly designed and
just might contain a backdoor for the National Security Agency.

Generating random numbers isn't easy, and researchers have discovered
lots of problems and attacks over the years. A recent paper found a flaw
in the Windows 2000 random-number generator. Another paper found flaws
in the Linux random-number generator. Back in 1996, an early version of
SSL was broken because of flaws in its random-number generator. With
John Kelsey and Niels Ferguson in 1999, I co-authored Yarrow, a
random-number generator based on our own cryptanalysis work. I improved
this design four years later -- and renamed it Fortuna -- in the book
Practical Cryptography, which I co-authored with Ferguson.

The U.S. government released a new official standard for random-number
generators this year, and it will likely be followed by software and
hardware developers around the world. Called NIST Special Publication
800-90 (.pdf), the 130-page document contains four different approved
techniques, called DRBGs, or "Deterministic Random Bit Generators." All
four are based on existing cryptographic primitives. One is based on
hash functions, one on HMAC, one on block ciphers and one on elliptic
curves. It's smart cryptographic design to use only a few well-trusted
cryptographic primitives, so building a random-number generator out of
existing parts is a good thing.

But one of those generators -- the one based on elliptic curves -- is
not like the others. Called Dual_EC_DRBG, not only is it a mouthful to
say, it's also three orders of magnitude slower than its peers. It's in
the standard only because it's been championed by the NSA, which first
proposed it years ago in a related standardization project at the
American National Standards Institute.

The NSA has always been intimately involved in U.S. cryptography
standards -- it is, after all, expert in making and breaking secret
codes. So the agency's participation in the NIST (the U.S. Commerce
Department's National Institute of Standards and Technology) standard is
not sinister in itself. It's only when you look under the hood at the
NSA's contribution that questions arise.

Problems with Dual_EC_DRBG were first described in early 2006. The math
is complicated, but the general point is that the random numbers it
produces have a small bias. The problem isn't large enough to make the
algorithm unusable -- and Appendix E of the NIST standard describes an
optional work-around to avoid the issue -- but it's cause for concern.
Cryptographers are a conservative bunch: We don't like to use algorithms
that have even a whiff of a problem.

But today there's an even bigger stink brewing around Dual_EC_DRBG. In
an informal presentation (.pdf) at the CRYPTO 2007 conference in August,
Dan Shumow and Niels Ferguson showed that the algorithm contains a
weakness that can only be described a backdoor.

This is how it works: There are a bunch of constants -- fixed numbers --
in the standard used to define the algorithm's elliptic curve. These
constants are listed in Appendix A of the NIST publication, but nowhere
is it explained where they came from.

What Shumow and Ferguson showed is that these numbers have a
relationship with a second, secret set of numbers that can act as a kind
of skeleton key. If you know the secret numbers, you can predict the
output of the random-number generator after collecting just 32 bytes of
its output. To put that in real terms, you only need to monitor one TLS
internet encryption connection in order to crack the security of that
protocol. If you know the secret numbers, you can completely break any
instantiation of Dual_EC_DRBG.

The researchers don't know what the secret numbers are. But because of
the way the algorithm works, the person who produced the constants might
know; he had the mathematical opportunity to produce the constants and
the secret numbers in tandem.

Of course, we have no way of knowing whether the NSA knows the secret
numbers that break Dual_EC-DRBG. We have no way of knowing whether an
NSA employee working on his own came up with the constants -- and has
the secret numbers. We don't know if someone from NIST, or someone in
the ANSI working group, has them. Maybe nobody does.

We don't know where the constants came from in the first place. We only
know that whoever came up with them could have the key to this backdoor.
And we know there's no way for NIST -- or anyone else -- to prove
otherwise.

This is scary stuff indeed.

Even if no one knows the secret numbers, the fact that the backdoor is
present makes Dual_EC_DRBG very fragile. If someone were to solve just
one instance of the algorithm's elliptic-curve problem, he would
effectively have the keys to the kingdom. He could then use it for
whatever nefarious purpose he wanted. Or he could publish his result,
and render every implementation of the random-number generator
completely insecure.

It's possible to implement Dual_EC_DRBG in such a way as to protect it
against this backdoor, by generating new constants with another secure
random-number generator and then publishing the seed. This method is
even in the NIST document, in Appendix A. But the procedure is optional,
and my guess is that most implementations of the Dual_EC_DRBG won't
bother.

If this story leaves you confused, join the club. I don't understand why
the NSA was so insistent about including Dual_EC_DRBG in the standard.
It makes no sense as a trap door: It's public, and rather obvious. It
makes no sense from an engineering perspective: It's too slow for anyone
to willingly use it. And it makes no sense from a
backwards-compatibility perspective: Swapping one random-number
generator for another is easy.

My recommendation, if you're in need of a random-number generator, is
not to use Dual_EC_DRBG under any circumstances. If you have to use
something in SP 800-90, use CTR_DRBG or Hash_DRBG.

In the meantime, both NIST and the NSA have some explaining to do.

-=-

Bruce Schneier is CTO of BT Counterpane and author of Beyond Fear:
Thinking Sensibly About Security in an Uncertain World.

Visit InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org/