Re: [ISN] Top Ten Reasons Why Ubuntu Is Best for Enterprise Use

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Sun Nov 25 2007 - 23:07:51 PST

Forwarded from: Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle (at) gmail.com>

On Nov 20, 2007 11:30 AM, InfoSec News <alerts@private> wrote:
> Forwarded from: security curmudgeon <jericho (at) attrition.org>
> : 4. A Superlative Security Record
> :
> : Security is a top priority for Ubuntu, which has been rated No. 1 for
> : security update quality and responsiveness in recent studies. Security
> : updates are freely available to all users of Ubuntu, with no
> : subscription required. Ubuntu is also conservative with updates; every
> : change made to the operating system or to the base applications is
> : peer reviewed for security. And of course, being an open source
> : platform, Ubuntu inherits the positive security characteristics of
> : Linux in general.
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/usn
>
> Uh, load this page and explain to me again how this is "superlative"?

Superlative is not always the amount of exploits, but who discovered
them and how fast they were repaired. I trust a product more if the
authors discover and patch their own vulnerabilities. Ubuntu does this
to an extent, but considering ~700 megs of code are in it, its not
surprising they don't discover all the vulnerabilities by themselves..

-JP

Visit InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org/