Re: [ISN] FBI Cracks Down (Again) on Zombie Computer Armies

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2007 - 22:20:01 PST

Forwarded from: Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle (at) gmail.com>

On Nov 30, 2007 4:14 AM, InfoSec News <alerts@private> wrote:
> http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2007/11/fbi-cracks-down.html
>
> By Ryan Singel
> Wired.com - Threat Level
> November 29, 2007
>
> The FBI announced Thursday it had indicted or successfully prosecuted
> eight individuals in a crack down on black hat hackers who use armies
> of zombie computers to commit financial fraud, attack web sites with
> floods of traffic and send spam. The crimes at issue involved more
> than $20 million in losses, according to the FBI

Once again: Taking down the army of a botmaster of millions without
disabling the botnet just makes sure the treasures of bot-armies past
will be handed down to the next script kiddie in line.

Even though the first attempt at this was bungled by a child not
experienced in matters failed, I think its worth another shot to send an
"update your security and uninstall" final release before just leaving
these willing combatants to another "dick-tater", as long as the
software the FBi/NSA/SGC is audited by the open sores community..

-JP

Visit InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org/