[ISN] Bruce Schneier Blazes Through Your Questions

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2007 - 22:21:57 PST

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/12/04/bruce-schneier-blazes-through-your-questions/

By Stephen J. Dubner
Freakonomics
December 4, 2007

Last week, we solicited your questions for Internet security guru Bruce
Shneier. He responded in force, taking on nearly every question, and his
answers are extraordinarily interesting, providing mandatory reading for
anyone who uses a computer. He also plainly thinks like an economist:
search below for crime pays to see his sober assessment of why its
better to earn a living as a security expert than as a computer
criminal.

Thanks to Bruce and to all of you for participating. Heres a note that
Bruce attached at the top of his answers: Thank you all for your
questions. In many cases, Ive written longer essays on the topics youve
asked about. In those cases, Ive embedded the links into the necessarily
short answers I've given here.

Q: Assuming we are both still here in 50 years, what do you believe will
be the most incredible, fantastic, mind-blowing advance in
computers/technology at that time?

A: Fifty years is a long time. In 1957, fifty years ago, there were
fewer than 2,000 computers total, and they were essentially used to
crunch numbers. They were huge, expensive, and unreliable; sometimes,
they caught on fire. There was no word processing, no spreadsheets, no
e-mail, and no Internet. Programs were written on punch cards or paper
tape, and memory was measured in thousands of digits. IBM sold a disk
drive that could hold almost 4.5 megabytes, but it was five-and-a-half
feet tall by five feet deep and would just barely fit through a standard
door.

Read the science fiction from back then, and youd be amazed by what they
got wrong. Sure, they predicted smaller and faster, but no one got the
socialization right. No one predicted eBay, instant messages, or
blogging.

Moores Law predicts that in fifty years, computers will be a billion
times more powerful than they are today. I dont think anyone has any
idea of the fantastic emergent properties you get from a billion-times
increase in computing power. (I recently wrote about what security would
look like in ten years, and that was hard enough.) But I can guarantee
that it will be incredible, fantastic, and mind-blowing.

Q: With regard to identity theft, do you see any alternatives to data
being king? Do you see any alternative systems which will mean that just
knowing enough about someone is not enough to commit a crime?

A: Yes. Identity theft is a problem for two reasons. One, personal
identifying information is incredibly easy to get; and two, personal
identifying information is incredibly easy to use. Most of our security
measures have tried to solve the first problem. Instead, we need to
solve the second problem. As long as its easy to impersonate someone if
you have his data, this sort of fraud will continue to be a major
problem.

The basic answer is to stop relying on authenticating the person, and
instead authenticate the transaction. Credit cards are a good example of
this. Credit card companies spend almost no effort authenticating the
person hardly anyone checks your signature, and you can use your card
over the phone, where they cant even check if youre holding the card and
spend all their effort authenticating the transaction. Of course its
more complicated than this; I wrote about it in more detail here and
here.

Q: Whats the next major identity verification system?

A: Identity verification will continue to be the hodge-podge of systems
we have today. Youre recognized by your face when you see someone you
know; by your voice when you talk to someone you know. Open your wallet,
and youll see a variety of ID cards that identify you in various
situations some by name and some anonymously. Your keys identify you as
someone allowed in your house, your office, your car. I dont see this
changing anytime soon, and I dont think it should. Distributed identity
is much more secure than a single system. I wrote about this in my
critique of REAL ID.

Q: If we can put a man on the moon, why in the world cant we design a
computer that can cold boot nearly instantaneously? I know about
hibernation, etc., but when I do have to reboot, I hate waiting those
three or four minutes.

A: Of course we can; Amiga was a fast booting computer, and OpenBSD
boxes boot in less than a minute. But the current crop of major
operating systems just dont. This is an economics blog, so you tell me:
why dont the computer companies compete on boot-speed?

Q: Considering the carelessness with which the government (state and
federal) and commercial enterprises treat our confidential information,
is it essentially a waste of effort for us as individuals to worry about
securing our data?

A: Yes and no. More and more, your data isnt under your direct control.
Your e-mail is at Google, Hotmail, or your local ISP. Online merchants
like Amazon and eBay have records of what you buy, and what you choose
to look at but not buy. Your credit card company has a detailed record
of where you shop, and your phone company has a detailed record of who
you talk to (your cell phone company also knows where you are). Add
medical databases, government databases, and so on, and theres an awful
lot of data about you out there. And data brokers like ChoicePoint and
Acxiom collect all of this data and more, building up a surprisingly
detailed picture on all Americans.

As you point out, one problem is that these commercial and government
organizations dont take good care of our data. Its an economic problem:
because these parties dont feel the pain when they lose our data, they
have no incentive to secure it. I wrote about this two years ago,
stating that if we want to fix the problem, we must make these
organizations liable for their data losses. Another problem is the law;
our Fourth Amendment protections protect our data under our control
which means in our homes, in our cars, and on our computers. We dont
have nearly the same protection when we give our data to some other
organization for use or safekeeping.

That being said, theres a lot you can do to secure your own data. I give
a list here.

Q: How do you remember all of your passwords?

A: I cant. No one can; there are simply too many. But I have a few
strategies. One, I choose the same password for all low-security
applications. There are several Web sites where I pay for access, and I
have the same password for all of them. Two, I write my passwords down.
Theres this rampant myth that you shouldnt write your passwords down. My
advice is exactly the opposite. We already know how to secure small bits
of paper. Write your passwords down on a small bit of paper, and put it
with all of your other valuable small bits of paper: in your wallet. And
three, I store my passwords in a program I designed called Password
Safe. Its is a small application Windows only, sorry that encrypts and
secures all your passwords.

Here are two other resources: one concerning how to choose secure
passwords (and how quickly passwords can be broken), and one on how
lousy most passwords actually are.

[...]

Visit InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org/