[ISN] Most in military believe a war with China will come

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2007 - 00:04:13 PST

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2007/12/13/2003392340

POLL:  Lieutenant General Chen Kuo-hsiang said that the questionnaire
was given to 3,010 soldiers who took part in an exercise after an
`intensive mental training course'

By Jimmy Chuang
STAFF REPORTER
Dec 13, 2007

More than 50 percent of military personnel believe there is going to be
war between Taiwan and China -- numbers the Ministry of National
Defense's General Political Warfare Bureau said yesterday were a good
sign.

"It shows that most of our personnel have not forgotten they face an
enemy that needs to be dealt with. They would be ready for combat on the
shortest possible notice," said Lieutenant General Chen Kuo-hsiang
(陳國祥), director-general of the bureau.

Chen made his remarks during a meeting at the legislature's National
Defense Committee yesterday morning.

Unveiling the results of a survey conducted earlier this year, the
bureau said that 50.3 percent of military personnel who participated in
the annual Han Kuang military exercise believed there will be a war
between Taiwan and China sometime in the near future.

Chen said the questionnaire was given to 3,010 soldiers who participated
in the exercise following an "intensive mental training course."

He refused to give any details about the course.

"I can only say that based on the results, we have achieved what we set
out to do," Chen said.

"Reminding our soldiers of the existing threat and making sure
everything is on track is in line with our goals. Obviously, the
exercise and training were a success," he said.

In addition to believing that war was imminent, 85.6 percent of
respondents said they were always conscious of the possibility of
information leaks or Chinese espionage occurring while they were on
duty.

Chen said the course was designed to help soldiers realize that Beijing
is relentless in its military threat against Taiwan.

"In addition to the constant reminder, the results also showed that 85.7
percent of our military personnel would do whatever it takes to perform
their jobs under any circumstances," Chen said.

This is a good sign," he said.

Visit InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org/