Re: [ISN] DNS attack could signal Phishing 2.0

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Thu Dec 13 2007 - 00:05:19 PST

Forwarded from: Crypto Admin <novembr5 (at) gmail.com>

On 12/11/07, InfoSec News <alerts@private> wrote:
> http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/12/11/DNS-attack-could-signal-Phishing-2.0_1.html
>
> By Robert McMillan
> IDG News Service
> December 11, 2007
>
> Researchers at Google and the Georgia Institute of Technology are
> studying a virtually undetectable form of attack that quietly controls
> where victims go on the Internet.

Please read the comments on this article over at CircleID, where it is
pointed out that the data does not support any difficulties with open
recursive DNS servers, but rather with misconfigured DNS servers. Both
David A. Ulevitch and Brett Watson make the points far better than I
could.

http://www.circleid.com/posts/malicious_open_recursive_dns_servers/

The authors of this report would have done themselves a favor, had they
listened to their reviewers.

Visit InfoSec News
http://www.infosecnews.org/