[ISN] RE: DNS attack could signal Phishing 2.0

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2007 - 22:01:36 PST

Forwarded from: Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman (at) vpnc.org>

At 12:14 AM -0600 12/17/07, InfoSec News wrote:
> > Please read the comments on this article over at CircleID, where it
> > is pointed out that the data does not support any difficulties with
> > open recursive DNS servers, but rather with misconfigured DNS
> > servers. Both David A. Ulevitch and Brett Watson make the points far
> > better than I could.
> >
> > http://www.circleid.com/posts/malicious_open_recursive_dns_servers/
> >
> > The authors of this report would have done themselves a favor, had
> > they listened to their reviewers
>
> I agree that it would make sense to point out that while DNSSEC (
> http://www.dnssec.net ) will help, upgrading from Bind 4 might also
> help out a bit..

DNSSEC will not help unless the users' systems are configured to reject
unsigned responses and responses whose signature will not validate. It
will take typical users about ten minutes to apply the "just click
through the security warnings" lesson from SSL to these warnings,
thereby making DNSSEC useless to everyone except the people who are
already security conscious. No panacea here.

> Still, it doesn't take many servers to create either DNS Poisoning or
> massive DDoS's via DNS amplification attacks

You have conflated two completely different DNS problems into one,
thereby falling for Mice and Men's scare tactics. To fix DNS poisoning
attacks, we need to get the resolvers running the broken code to update
their code. *None* of the people running those resolvers want to be
running bad code; it doesn't serve them at all. They can be identified
and, with a bit of creativity, contacted by email and phone. A round of
"shaming the lame" could probalby reduce the number of such servers by
90%.

In order to reduce the possibility of DNS amplification attacks, you
need to turn off nearly every open DNS resolver. This is essentially
impossible because there are plenty of good reasons for DNS
administrators to want their resolvers to be open. Closing open
resolvers means that mobile users cannot use their home DNS servers and
are at the whim of whatever local DNS server they are forced to attach
to. This can and will change over time as PCs allow users to easily use
passwords to get their DNS resolution services, but for now (and
probably at least ten years), they're stuck.

As the original message said, read the comments on the original article
from people who have actually researched this topic. Knee-jerk reactions
are common (as we have seen in the debate on this topic in the IETF for
the past few months) but not helpful in actually getting the DNS to be
secure in the long run.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

Visit InfoSec News