[ISN] Cyberattacks a Sarbanes-Oxley Issue?

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Fri Apr 11 2008 - 01:11:11 PDT

http://www.csoonline.com/article/330763/Cyberattacks_a_Sarbanes_Oxley_Issue_

CSO Online
Opinion
April 10, 2008

Kevin Coleman of Technolytics Institute says cyberattack concerns are
starting to appear in SEC filings.

There's been a lot of attention paid recently to the threat cyber
attacks pose to business, society and government.  And no wonder, with
U.S. Air Force advertisements claiming the Pentagon is attacked three
million times a day; the Computer Security Institute announcing that
10,000 distributed DoS attacks occur around the world daily; or the
estimate that as many as 80 million machines may have been compromised
by the STORM software worm. Security and business professionals alike
are increasingly concerned, and even Department of Homeland Security
Chief Michael Chertoff says that the department has been increasing its
anti-hacking efforts.  U.S. companies have been primary targets for
cyber-attacks, and the frequency and sophistication of these attacks are
increasing.

Given the regularity of cyber attacks, they have now entered into the
category of a foreseeable risk, which in legal terms is defined as a
danger that a reasonable person should anticipate as the result of his
or her actions or inaction.  In other words, a person or company that
doesn't respond to a foreseeable risk could be found negligent if they
depart from the conduct expected of a reasonably prudent person acting
under similar circumstances.

All that said, business would be well advised to examine the threat of
cyber attacks and update their business continuity/disaster recovery
plans. But that's not what I see happening. It's true that businesses
are changing their approach to cyber-attacks, utilizing both traditional
means, such as increased risk assessment and training, and
nontraditional means, like hiring hackers to probe corporate security,
as well as looking to the federal government for guidance.

However, in a recent presentation I gave to approximately 100
professionals representing nearly 70 businesses in New York, an informal
poll of the audience showed that no one has considered a cyber attack in
their contingency plans.  On further polling, I found that only 4% had
even heard about the cyber attack that last summer disrupted Estonia's
infrastructure and banking operations, to the point that the country had
to shut down key computer systems.

Given a document I stumbled across in January, cyber attacks may have
also become a Sarbanes-Oxley issue.  A 10Q filed by Respironics, Inc., a
medical devices manufacturer in Murrysville, Pa., recently acquired by
Royal Philips Electronics, came up on a Google search for "cyber
attack." On page 15, the term "cyber-attack" is identified as a factor
that could cause the company's actual financial results to differ
materially from the expected results included in the forward-looking
statements.

Historically we have only seen a few high-tech companies identify
cyber-attack as a risk. Given that Respironics' business is not related
to information technology or the Internet, it clearly indicates the
growing business concerns surrounding the threat of cyber attacks.

All this said, given the media attention to this emerging threat, it
would be difficult to defend against claims of negligence if a business
experienced a cyber attack that had significant financial implications.
Corporate governance today requires effective internal controls, and it
depends on the integrity of information within the organization, as well
as the identification and management of risks that could potentially
impact financial performance.  Today more than ever, an organization's
reputation, brand image and financial results all depend on the
integrity and availability of its computer systems.

It's up to business and security executives to answer the question, How
would our company operate without the Internet for one hour, one day or
one week? The response of one corporate executive I talked to who asked
not to be identified was pretty frank: "I don't want to even think about
the disruption and financial implication of the Internet going away for
a day." What about you? ##

-=-

Kevin G. Coleman is a fifteen year veteran of the computer industry. A
Kellogg School of Management Executive Scholar, he was the former Chief
strategist of Netscape. Now he is a Senior Fellow and International
Strategic Management Consultant with the Technolytics Institute an
executive think-tank. For six years he served on the Science and
Technology advisory board for the Johns Hopkins University - Applied
Physics Lab, one of the leading research institutions in the United
States and served for four years on the University of Pittsburgh Medical
Centers Limbaugh Entrepreneurial Center's Advisory Board. He has
published over sixty articles covering security and defense related
matters including UnRestricted Warfare and Cyber Warfare & Weapons. In
addition he has testified before the U.S. Congress on Cyber Security and
is a regular speaker at security industry events and the Global
Intelligence Summit.

© CXO Media Inc.