[ISN] FBI organizes defense against cyber-attacks

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2008 - 01:48:05 PDT

http://washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080421/NATION/900241339/1002

By Shaun Waterman
United Press International
April 21, 2008

The FBI quietly established last summer a task force involving U.S.
intelligence and other agencies to identify and respond to cyberthreats
against the United States.

Called the National Cyber Investigative Joint Task Force, the group has
"several dozen" personnel working together at an undisclosed location in
the Washington area, said Shawn Henry, the FBI's deputy assistant
director of its cyberdivision.

In an interview with United Press International, Mr. Henry was
tight-lipped about the task force's composition, saying only that it
involved "several intelligence, law-enforcement and other agencies from
across the U.S. government."

Documents released earlier this month by the Homeland Security
Department said the task force was being expanded "to include
representation from the U.S. Secret Service and several other federal
agencies."

During congressional testimony last year, FBI Director Robert S. Mueller
III said the task force was a partnership with other agencies to deal
with cyberthreats from foreign intelligence.

The FBI's justification for next year's budget, in which it has
requested an additional 70 agents and more than 100 support personnel
for its cyberdivision, says the task force "seeks to address
cyber-intrusions presenting a national security threat."

The idea, Mr. Henry said, is for the partner agencies to "share
information and make sure we're not overlapping in our response."

"If you serve a physical search warrant, and other agencies are
involved, you can see them at the door," he said, adding that in virtual
investigations it was more difficult to know who else might be on the
trail.

"We're sharing investigative and threat information," he said, "looking
at the attacks [each agency is] seeing and the methodologies being
used."

>From the FBI's point of view, Mr. Henry added, the task force "allows us
to get visibility for our field offices across the country" into how
threats are developing and what investigations are going on.

The task force looks at "all cyberthreats," he said, but is focused on
"organizations that are targeting U.S. infrastructure."

He declined to comment further, but in recent congressional testimony,
Director of National Intelligence Michael McConnell named Russia and
China as among the most important cyber-adversaries for the United
States.

Mr. Henry said it is important to be "adversary neutral" in combating
cyberthreats.

"A network can be attacked by a terrorist group, a foreign power, or a
hacker kid from Oklahoma City ... Networks need to be protected from all
threats because once [sensitive] data has been stolen, it can be
transferred anywhere," he said.

In recent testimony, Mr. McConnell said the U.S. government is "not
prepared to deal with" the cyberthreats it faces. And Homeland Security
Secretary Michael Chertoff told a bloggers roundtable last month that
cybersecurity is "the one area in which I feel we've been behind where I
would like to be."

Asked whether the U.S. government is getting a handle on the problem,
Mr. Henry said, "Our response has to constantly change and grow because
the threat is constantly changing and growing."

He said that one of the most-worrying aspects of cyberthreats is the
extent to which "the offense outstrips the defense."

"The pace of technological change ... the increasing connectivity [of
networks] creates more opportunity for exploitation" of vulnerabilities,
he said.

Subscribe to the InfoSec News RSS Feed
http://www.infosecnews.org/isn.rss