[ISN] Infosec: Security community must work together

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Tue Apr 22 2008 - 22:08:34 PDT

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2214852/security-community-cyber-crime

By Iain Thomson at Infosec Europe 2008
vnunet.com

Microsoft has called on companies to work together to improve overall
security, and not just rely on the police to do it for them.

Ed Gibson, Microsoft's chief security advisor in the UK, said during his
keynote at Infosecurity Europe 2008 that security affects the entire
industry and that companies must work together.

"We have a good set of laws in place and they have teeth. But the police
have priorities and budgets set by the Home Office," he said.

"We do not want to have our cars stolen or be mugged in the street, and
the police focus on social crimes rather than spending huge resources on
minor electronic fraud."

Gibson added that this attitude is perfectly understandable in light of
pressure on police time. Cyber-crime is seldom included in police
targets and it takes a huge amount of resources.

Instead the computer industry needs to step into the breach and help
police the internet by cutting down on the pool of available victims.

"Any one of you here would volunteer for neighbourhood watch if you
thought it would improve your community. So why not online?" he said.

Security vendors need to make sure that products interoperate as much as
possible, and ensure that integration is successfully implemented,
according to Gibson.

This is proving easier than anticipated since security vendors in
particular are very aware of the problems.

Subscribe to the InfoSec News RSS Feed
http://www.infosecnews.org/isn.rss