[ISN] Afghanistan Firefight Heard On Voice Mail

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Thu May 08 2008 - 00:02:06 PDT

http://www.kptv.com/news/16161182/detail.html

[I know I've gotten more than a few accidental cell-phone calls, but
this should be a good heads-up for why you should lock the keypad on
your personal and/or work cellphones.  - WK]

KPTV.com
May 5, 2008

OTIS, Ore. -- An Oregon couple received a frightening phone call from
their son in Afghanistan when he inadvertently called home during
battle.

Stephen Phillips and other soldiers in his Army MP company were battling
insurgents when his phone was pressed against his Humvee. It redialed
and called his parents in the small Oregon town of Otis.

Sandie Petee, Phillips' mother, and her husband, Jeff Petee, weren't
home at the time of the call. They returned home to find a three-minute
voice mail on their answering machine.

"His friend died a year ago in Iraq and I'm thinking, 'Oh my God, this
may be the last time I hear my son's voice on the phone,'" Petee said.

They heard shooting, swearing and shouted pleas for more ammunition on
the phone call from their son.

"They were pinned down and apparently his barrel was overheating," said
Jeff Petee. "It's something a parent really doesn't want to hear. It's a
heck of a message to get from your son in Afghanistan."

[...]

* Listen to the entire phone call here. WARNING: Clip contains foul
  language and is not suitable for some viewers
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4goOzg0lass

Attend Black Hat USA, August 2-7 in Las Vegas,
the world's premier technical event for ICT security experts.
Featuring 40 hands-on training courses and 80 Briefings
presentations with lots of new content and new tools.
Network with 4,000 delegates from 50 nations.
Visit product displays by 30 top sponsors in
a relaxed setting. http://www.blackhat.com