[ISN] 4 admit hacking games websites

From: InfoSec News (alerts@private)
Date: Thu Jun 19 2008 - 01:06:10 PDT

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/6433017.html

People's Daily Online
June 19, 2008

Four employees of a Shanghai-based Internet security company appeared
before a Beijing court on Tuesday accused of attacking the website of an
online games operator.

At the hearing at Haidian district court, Luo Chun, general manager of
the Shanghai Share Security Network Technology Co Ltd, and three of his
employees, were said to have launched attacks on several online games
operators in Beijing.

They flooded targeted websites with various requests thereby crashing
their systems. They then asked the websites to buy their firewall
products.

Li Yichao, the 19-year-old deputy general manager and a computer expert,
was accused of being the main person responsible for the attacks. He was
under the instructions of Luo.

Although he is a teenager with a junior high school education, Li is a
"real genius" on web hacking, the Beijing Morning Post quoted Luo as
saying.

On April 26 last year they launched a one-month attack on the servers of
Ourgame, a major online games operator in Beijing.

Li then contacted Ourgame to sell firewall products. The company
received a testing fee of more than 30,000 yuan ($4,360).

However, Ourgame refused to buy or rent any of the Shanghai company's
products, opting instead to spend more than 1 million yuan to hire
foreign experts to solve their problems.

Ourgame informed the police that its servers were being attacked. Police
investigations discovered the servers were being attacked from Shanghai
and that Shanghai Share Security Network was responsible.

All the accused admitted the offense, and sentence will be passed within
a month.

"I was attracted by the quick money and got carried away. I applied my
talents in the wrong way," Li told Beijing Morning Post.

In the future, he will apply his skills only to legal things, he said.

Insiders said that in the past year the number of computer hackers had
been on the rise.

The Ministry of Public Security said that from 2002 to last year, 12,521
cases of computer hacking has been detected.

One involved the "panda burning incense case" which infected a number of
computers last year. The accused, Li Jun, was sentenced to four years in
prison last September.

Hu Junfeng, general manager of the Kele8.com, an online games website,
said the site was attacked on numerous occasions.

"To avoid being attacked, we spent almost 500,000 yuan installing
protective devices," he told China Daily.

Attend Black Hat USA, August 2-7 in Las Vegas,
the world's premier technical event for ICT security experts.
Featuring 40 hands-on training courses and 80 Briefings
presentations with lots of new content and new tools.
Network with 4,000 delegates from 50 nations.
Visit product displays by 30 top sponsors in
a relaxed setting. http://www.blackhat.com