[ISN] Update: No servers, no comment at Financial Times

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 04:35:39 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/security/data-control/news/index.cfm?newsid=9984

By Mike Simons
Computerworld UK
July 10, 2008

The Financial Times web site, FT.com, was struggling to cope today after
the theft of equipment at a hosting centre, which is believed to have
been unmanned.

The online shopping site of Sainsbury's was also affected, by the theft.
fibre optics, routers, servers and switches were removed from the site
by thieves, who police believe were after scrap metal.

The publisher was left unable to publish new articles or update data on
its site following the thefts which took place at a Cable & Wireless
network site, near to one of its datacentres in Watford, north of
London.

Instead the FT.com site was earlier today (10 July) being run on backup
facilities in the United States.

By mid afternoon the site was fully restored. A company representative
said, "There was a reduced FT.com service on 10 July due to equipment
being stolen over night from our third party hosted data centre site.
Full functionality has now been restored and we would like to apologise
for any inconvenience caused to our customers and readers.

[...]

Attend Black Hat USA, August 2-7 in Las Vegas,
the world's premier technical event for ICT security experts.
Featuring 40 hands-on training courses and 80 Briefings
presentations with lots of new content and new tools.
Network with 4,000 delegates from 50 nations.
Visit product displays by 30 top sponsors in
a relaxed setting. http://www.blackhat.com