[ISN] Obama Wages Cyberwar

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 12:05:01 -0500 (CDT)
http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/07/obama-wages-cyb.html

By Noah Shachtman
Danger Room
Wired.com
July 16, 2008

Since the start of the year, the Bush administration has kickstarted a
$30 billion effort to shore up cyber security, installed a new "czar"
for online defense, and reserved the right to snoop on everyone's net
traffic, to ward off a digital attack.

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama says the White House is
still asleep at the switch, when it comes to network defense.

"We know that cyber-espionage and common crime is already on the rise.
And yet while countries like China have been quick to recognize this
change, for the last eight years we have been dragging our feet," he
said in a speech today at Purdue University, focusing on unconventional
threats.

His recommendations on network security were vague, mostly. But they did
include some subtle digs at the current administration.

[...]

Attend Black Hat USA, August 2-7 in Las Vegas,
the world's premier technical event for ICT security experts.
Featuring 40 hands-on training courses and 80 Briefings
presentations with lots of new content and new tools.
Network with 4,000 delegates from 50 nations.
Visit product displays by 30 top sponsors in
a relaxed setting. http://www.blackhat.com