[ISN] Air Force Suspends 'Cyber Command' Program

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 01:38:37 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.informationweek.com/news/security/government/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=210003721

By Richard Martin
InformationWeek
August 13, 2008

Putting on hold a major cyber-warfare initiative less than two months
before it was scheduled to become operational, the Pentagon this week
said it is delaying and reviewing the future of the Air Force's
controversial "Cyber Command" program.

The move was originally reported Monday on the Nextgov Web site, which
quoted an internal Air Force e-mail as saying "Transfers of manpower and
resources, including activation and reassignment of units, shall be
halted."

A Pentagon spokesman, Ed Gulick, confirmed the hiatus in a telephone
interview with InformationWeek.

Noting that the Secretary of the Air Force and the newly appointed Chief
of Staff, Norton Schwartz, have several "key issues and initiatives" to
review, Gulick said, "We are taking a pause on standing up the command
so we can insure we're going about it the right way."

[...]

Visit Defcon Pics - Defcon Memory Repository
http://www.defconpics.org