[ISN] VoIP security auditing is becoming more and more complex ... Not!

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 05:08:07 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.itworld.com/security/54291/voip-security-auditing-becoming-more-and-more-complex-not

By Ari Takanen
ITWorld
August 15, 2008

I am curious how people can conduct penetration tests of a complex VoIP
system when they barely understand how VoIP infrastructure works. Today,
security people are still stuck to auditing practices from 1990s. When
asked to do a penetration test, a consultant often is only looking at
past issues that can be detected using various vulnerability scanners.
Very few of them know that vulnerability scanners have extremely bad
coverage of vulnerabilities in VoIP solutions. And even if the tools did
know VoIP, who really cares about past issues that might have been
relevant several years ago.

Relying on vulnerability scanners and detection of past flaws is not
very professional, but it is understandable practice when you study the
skill-sets of individual consultants conducting penetration testing.
Although nowadays every security consultant can do a web audit (some of
them can even read HTTP), very few of them can even name the different
network components used in a VoIP infrastructure ("What is this MGW
here?"). Most security consultants have no idea what a widely used
signaling protocol such as SIP (Session Initiation Protocol) can do.
Even less people are aware of the encryption techniques available for
both VoIP signaling and media, nor would they pay any attention on the
lack of encryption in your VoIP.

When entering the VoIP auditing practice, the first target for all
security experts is to understand VoIP. Maybe you have been postponing
this because VoIP sounds complex? Fortunately VoIP is so much fun to
learn! VoIP is such a perfect example of deployment where you need to
know all the basics of communication technologies including all security
techniques. VoIP does not re-invent the wheel, but reuses all best
practices from both IP communications and legacy telephony. But where to
start?

That is what we tried to do in the book I wrote with Peter: A complete
analysis of various security aspects of VoIP. The feat was not easy,
especially given the limited time we had for the project. In order to
teach future academics and network engineers, Peter and I tried to
systematically go through the security risks and vulnerabilities
associated with VoIP networks and offer proven, detailed recommendations
for securing them. Even when drafting those chapters, we noted that it
is not enough to just list exploits and security techniques, but instead
we had to explain at least the basics of the actual techniques that make
VoIP work. You cannot secure something that you do not really
understand.

[...]

Visit Defcon Pics - Defcon Memory Repository
http://www.defconpics.org