[ISN] Hacker Court 2008 Post Mortem

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 00:07:25 -0500 (CDT)
http://blog.tenablesecurity.com/2008/08/hacker-court-20.html

By Carole Fennelly
August 21, 2008

Another Black Hat conference for the record books! It.s traditional for
me to have a panic attack on the eve of Black Hat, trying to pull the
Hacker Court team together to work on our presentation ("Hack MyFace")
and swearing I'm never doing this again. This year was even worse: the
defendant, Simple Nomad, and the judge, Richard Salgado, both had to
cancel at the last minute. We still had to work out evidence details (as
Simple Nomad once pointed out, it would be easier to actually hack into
a system than generate fake evidence) and now had to find replacement
players. Richard Salgado noted that "anyone can be a judge", but who
could fill Simple Nomad's stylish boots?

Fortunately, fellow NMRC member and Hacker Court veteran, Weasel, came
to the rescue to play "Simpl Gnomad", complete with bathrobe, and
sunglasses. Hacker Court co-founder, Jonathan Klein, stepped in as a
very intimidating Judge.

This case hinged on the fact that the defendant , responding to a
journalist's inquiry, used a zero-day exploit to hack into a presumed
social networking site, "MyFace" with the encouragement of the site's
owner, Mudge, who was really a Secret Service Agent investigating social
networking exploits. The site was actually a Virtual Machine (VM) on a
server that housed other case VMs (agency budget cut-backs). The
defendant not only compromised the security of the "MyFace" site but
also broke out of "MyFace" and obtained information about sensitive
on-going investigations.

[...]

Register now for HITBSecConf2008 - Malaysia! With
a new triple-track conference featuring 4 keynote
speakers and over 35 international experts, this
is the largest network security event in Asia and
the Middle East!
http://conference.hackinthebox.org/hitbsecconf2008kl/