[ISN] Hackers attack Iraq's vulnerable computers

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 05:08:33 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/computersecurity/hacking/2008-08-28-iraqhackers_N.htm

By Charles Levinson
USA TODAY
August 28, 2008

BAGHDAD - Maj. Ahmed Khathem, the head of Iraq's newly formed
cybercrimes division, sits in a borrowed office, at a borrowed desk,
working at a borrowed laptop one of his subordinates brought from home.

It is his unit's lone computer, highlighting the country's vulnerability
to a community of Iraqi hackers defacing websites and attempting to hack
into sensitive internal networks.

Iraq's government is engaged in a bloody struggle against al-Qaeda, and
its computers make a prime target for global terror networks that have
added hacking to their arsenal.

"We could have the most powerful anti-hacking force in the world, but
we'd still have no computers, so we couldn't do anything," says Ali
Hussein, one of 12 computer science graduates added to the cybercrime
team last month. "The government thinks about guns, tanks and raiding
houses. Hackers just aren't a priority."

[...]

Register now for HITBSecConf2008 - Malaysia! With
a new triple-track conference featuring 4 keynote
speakers and over 35 international experts, this
is the largest network security event in Asia and
the Middle East!
http://conference.hackinthebox.org/hitbsecconf2008kl/