[ISN] MySpace Cofounder Tom Anderson Was A Real Life "WarGames" Hacker in 1980s

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 02:28:50 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/08/30/myspace-cofounder-tom-anderson-was-a-real-life-wargames-hacker-in-1980s/

by Michael Arrington
TechCrunch
August 30, 2008

Late last year we discovered that MySpace cofounder Tom Anderson,
arguably the most popular individual on the Internet with 240+ million
MySpace friends (he is added by default to every MySpace account) was
actually 37 years old, not the 32 that he continues to claim on his
MySpace page.

Now we've learned a much more colorful part of Anderson’s history: In
1985, when he was fourteen and in high school in Escondido, California,
Anderson was subject to one of the largest FBI raids in California
history after hacking into a Chase Manhattan Bank computer system and
subsequently showing his friends how to do it. He was never arrested
because he was a minor, but the FBI confiscated all of his computer
equipment and some newspaper accounts of the incident stated incorrectly
(see image below from a 1986 LA Times story) that he was "convicted in
federal court of computer hacking and placed on probation" (the
statements were corrected in subsequent articles). Anderson used the
hacker name "Lord Flathead."

MySpace and Anderson would not comment on this post. But most of the
information is now available online as news articles from the 1980s (and
earlier) have been added to Google and other search engines. We came
across an initial article accidentally and started investigating from
there. Some of the information in this post has been obtained by a
source close to Anderson, including the connection between Anderson and
his hacker name.

[...]

Register now for HITBSecConf2008 - Malaysia! With
a new triple-track conference featuring 4 keynote
speakers and over 35 international experts, this
is the largest network security event in Asia and
the Middle East!
http://conference.hackinthebox.org/hitbsecconf2008kl/