[ISN] RCMP, counter-espionage agency probing fake Harper e-mails

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 00:07:08 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canadavotes/story/2008/09/22/pm-emails.html

September 22, 2008
CBC News

The RCMP and Canada's electronic counter-espionage agency have been
called in to investigate after someone sent out two fake e-mails under
the name of Stephen Harper to subscribers of the prime minister's
website mailing list.

The notes were sent over the weekend to an e-mail address that
automatically distributes messages to people who have signed on to the
Prime Minister's Office mailing list.

One of the messages, entitled "Why you shouldn't fear me," begins with
the greeting "Hi The Average Canadian, Stephen Harper wanted to tell
you…"

The e-mail then claims Harper's goal is "to make Canada America's 51st
state and destroy health care that all Canadians cherish by infusing my
propaganda with hard-core ad hominem attacks [attacks on someone's
character]."

[...]

Register now for HITBSecConf2008 - Malaysia! With
a new triple-track conference featuring 4 keynote
speakers and over 35 international experts, this
is the largest network security event in Asia and
the Middle East!
http://conference.hackinthebox.org/hitbsecconf2008kl/