[ISN] No espionage in candidate laptop theft

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 00:25:55 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.metronews.ca/calgary/Local/article/116698

By NEIL MACKINNON
METRO CALGARY
September 24, 2008

Her first thought was that she might be the victim of political
espionage - a Calgary version of Watergate.

Instead, Heesung Kim was just the victim of a cat burglar who climbed up
on a pail, peeled away the screen, jimmied open the alleyway window of
her Calgary Centre Liberal campaign office at 1801 1 St. SE, and made
off with two laptops.

"There isn't much to be worried about in this riding, so after I thought
about it for a second, I quickly ruled out political interference," said
Kim. "And police said it's not that uncommon for people to break in and
just steal laptops, so I'm pretty sure it was just a crime of
opportunity."

The laptops, one of them fingerprint-protected, were being used for
Kim's campaign. They didn't contain any voter information, which is
regularly uploaded to a server in Ottawa and is password protected. She
also has backup copies of all the literature and graphic designs her
team was working on.

Register now for HITBSecConf2008 - Malaysia! With
a new triple-track conference featuring 4 keynote
speakers and over 35 international experts, this
is the largest network security event in Asia and
the Middle East!
http://conference.hackinthebox.org/hitbsecconf2008kl/