[ISN] Slick hackers wormed their way into Alberta's computers, report says

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 01:20:57 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20081003.AUDIT03/TPStory/National

The Canadian Press
October 3, 2008

EDMONTON -- Weak computer security across the Alberta government allowed
sophisticated hackers to worm their way into the system, Auditor-General
Fred Dunn reported yesterday.

Mr. Dunn says the hackers, possibly criminals from Asia or Eastern
Europe, left signs that they had been inside Alberta's computer network.

"Footprints were there that people have gone in and looked and seen," he
told reporters. "We don't know what they did with it, we don't know how
it was used, but they were there."

Mr. Dunn's latest report warns that health-care records and drivers'
licence data are not well protected.

"Confidential or sensitive information may be at risk of compromise
without warning," says the report. "Because information security in the
government is not consistently enforced, all information assets are
exposed to unacceptable risk."

Mr. Dunn says his department found that hacking into government
computers was "easier than it should have been." He says 400 computer
systems were targeted in his review, but the investigation stopped after
69 systems were checked.

[...]

Register now for HITBSecConf2008 - Malaysia! With
a new triple-track conference featuring 4 keynote
speakers and over 35 international experts, this
is the largest network security event in Asia and
the Middle East!
http://conference.hackinthebox.org/hitbsecconf2008kl/