[ISN] FBI wipes out online credit card ring

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 01:28:41 -0500 (CDT)
http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2228489/fbi-wipes-online-credit-card

By Iain Thomson in San Francisco
vnunet.com

The FBI has announced that it has concluded a two year investigation
into an online market for stolen credit card data behind millions of
dollars of fraud.

The Dark Market forum was discovered by the agency and was found to be
built for the buying and selling of stolen financial information
including credit card data, login credentials (user names and
passwords), as well as equipment used in carrying out certain financial
crimes.

In a two year operation, carried out in conjunction with the UK’s
Serious Organised Crime Agency (SOCA), and other law enforcement
agencies around the globe, has resulted in 56 arrests. However the
agency thinks there may have been as many as 2,500 regualr forum
members.

FBI Cyber Division Assistant Director Shawn Henry said, “In today’s
world of rapidly expanding technology, where cyber crimes are
perpetrated instantly from anywhere in the world, law enforcement needs
to be flexible and creative in our efforts to target these criminals.”

“By joining forces with our international law enforcement counterparts,
we have been, and will continue to be, successful in arresting those
individuals and dismantling these forums.”

The FBI estimates that it has protected bank accounts and credit lines
worth $70 million by shutting down the forum and that the investigation
has spawned new leads and investigations that will also be followed up.

Register now for HITBSecConf2008 - Malaysia! With
a new triple-track conference featuring 4 keynote
speakers and over 35 international experts, this
is the largest network security event in Asia and
the Middle East!
http://conference.hackinthebox.org/hitbsecconf2008kl/