[ISN] High insecurity at LockCon

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 04:09:05 -0500 (CDT)
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10072918-83.html

By Marc Weber Tobias
Security
CNet News
October 23, 2008

Once again I made the annual trek to a little town in the northern
Netherlands, Sneek, to meet with about 75 colleagues to discuss the
latest security issues and bypass techniques for locks, safes, and
access control systems. LockCon, the new name for "The Dutch Open" is
organized by Barry Wels and Han Fey. For the past six years, they have
put together a three-day event, replete with lock picking contests, safe
cracking demonstrations, and briefings on new security technologies.

More importantly, the conference provides a forum for serious
discussions and presentations about design flaws in security hardware,
and new circumvention techniques. Barry Wels is actually a crypto expert
for GSM phones, but is perhaps most well known in Europe for focusing
attention on lock bumping in the Netherlands, through Toool (The Open
Organization of Lock Pickers).

Two significant events occurred at LockConthis year.

On Friday, the director of research and development at Medeco High
Security Locks gave a five-hour presentation on lock design. This is
important because Medeco has finally recognized the value and
contribution of the lock sport and professional bypass community and
their ability to develop methods of compromise that manufacturers often
seem incapable of determining in their own products. It is a real
departure from the traditional approach of most lock makers, and one
that I have supported and advocated for quite some time

The following day, a detailed four-hour presentation and workshop was
given by my co-author (Tobias Bluzmanis) and I regarding the bypass of
Medeco m3 and Biaxial cylinders. For those who may be unfamiliar with
the name, Medeco has been the predominant high security lock
manufacturer in North America for the past 40 years. It's responsible
for protecting residences, commercial locations, and the most secure
government facilities in the U.S. and overseas. Its lock design was
revolutionary and very secure, until we figured out the embedded design
issue.

[...]

Register now for HITBSecConf2008 - Malaysia! With
a new triple-track conference featuring 4 keynote
speakers and over 35 international experts, this
is the largest network security event in Asia and
the Middle East!
http://conference.hackinthebox.org/hitbsecconf2008kl/