[ISN] Hacker threat: Rudd promises action

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 03:37:08 -0600 (CST)
http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/hardware/soa/Hacker-threat-Rudd-promises-action/0,130061702,339293665,00.htm

By Liam Tung
ZDNet.com.au

Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has promised to bolster Australia's
cyber-defences to fend off the threat posed by hackers.

Rudd has kicked off his first National Security Statement today by
acknowledging, amongst other things, the threat posed to the country by
hackers and terrorists' access to "readily available" technology.

"The irony of technology today is that, while on the one hand we are
seeking to invest in sophisticated information, intelligence and
military technology, on the other, we have to protect ourselves from the
extreme use of basic, readily available technology and hardware by
terrorist groups," he said.

Rudd, who recently signed up to the Twitter service, also acknowledged
the threat to Australia caused by its reliance on computer systems to
manage critical infrastructure, which were put to the test last year
under the multinational cyberwar exercise, Cyber Storm II.

[...]

Help InfoSecNews.org with a donation!
http://www.infosecnews.org/donate.html