[ISN] Chertoff: Cyber defense must be wider

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 00:27:21 -0600 (CST)
http://www.fcw.com/online/news/154618-1.html

By Doug Beizer
FCW.com
December 10, 2008

Cyber attacks against government and commercial networks aren't limited
to traditional frontal attacks that attempt to create intrusion though
vulnerabilities,  Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said
today at an event sponsored by AFCEA.

"We have to ensure we're protecting against the full spectrum of
threats," Chertoff said. "Everybody thinks about cybersecurity as
network attacks, but we have to look end to end at the entire
architecture to make sure we are in fact protecting ourselves."

In a global economy where hardware and software are developed across the
world, new and difficult-to-find vulnerabilities could affect government
and commercial systems, he said.

Chertoff said the Bush administration has begun a foundation to help the
incoming administration, adding, "I do think we.ve launched a strategy
that is robust and that has laid out a major pathway. It has just
started the process of moving us to a more secure cyberspace. We've got
a lot of good coordination under our belts." His remarks came at the
fourth installment of AFCEA's Solutions Series forums.

[...]

Help InfoSecNews.org with a donation!
http://www.infosecnews.org/donate.html