[ISN] President-Elect Barack Obama Offers InfoSec Bailout Plan

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 03:11:51 -0600 (CST)
http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/12/presidentelect.html

By George Hulme
InformationWeek
Dec 11, 2008

While the president-elect may not realize it's what he's working on --
he is. And savvy security vendors already should be revamping their
marketing plans for the InfoSec Stimulus Package of 2009.

Imagine what a new PCI DSS (Payment Card Industry Data Security
Standard, for those of you who have been sleeping in class) or even a
re-invigorated HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability
Act) would do to give the information security community a caffeinated
jolt out of its malaise?

But that's what is coming, and the thought struck me like a double shot
of RedBull while I was drafting this post about the president-elect's
plans to add health IT to any stimulus package he crafts with Congress
for signing come Jan. 20.

Here's the paragraph, from this Sunday's radio address, that got my
synapses sparking:

    In addition to connecting our libraries and schools to the Internet,
    we must also ensure that our hospitals are connected to each other
    through the Internet. That is why the economic recovery plan I'm
    proposing will help modernize our health care system -- and that
    won't just save jobs, it will save lives. We will make sure that
    every doctor's office and hospital in this country is using
    cutting-edge technology and electronic medical records so that we
    can cut red tape, prevent medical mistakes, and help save billions
    of dollars each year.

Do you see that? Hospitals interconnected on the Internet. That's a
long-winded way to spell RISK. Because, when you airdrop a crate of
technology on a segment of the economy that's not accustomed to managing
it, well, you're going to get a certain amount of mayhem.

[...]

Help InfoSecNews.org with a donation!
http://www.infosecnews.org/donate.html