[ISN] Top 10 Threats to Computer Systems Include Professors and Students

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 01:32:12 -0600 (CST)
http://chronicle.com/free/v55/i17/17a00901.htm

By JEFFREY R. YOUNG
The Chronicle of Higher Education
December 19, 2008 Issue

Karen McDowell spent several days this fall dressed in a purple fish
costume, holding a plastic spear.

Ms. McDowell, a network-security analyst at the University of Virginia,
wanted to raise awareness about "phishing," e-mail schemes in which con
artists send messages to trick people into giving out passwords or other
personal information. Ms. McDowell walked around high-traffic areas of
the campus to get attention. "Sometimes I introduced myself as a
fraudulent e-mail because many people don't know what a phish is," she
said.

The outfit hooked curious students, who asked her what she was up to,
and most listened to her spiel. In the past, plainclothes administrators
set up tables and handed out brochures about the importance of computer
security. But Ms. McDowell felt that such efforts made little impact,
since students mostly walked by without stopping. The fish costume was
her idea — the university paid a local seamstress $60 to make it —
because she felt that a bit of flashiness and humor would help the
message sink in.

User awareness is growing in importance when it comes to computer
security. Not long ago, keeping college networks safe from
cyberattackers mainly involved making sure computers around campus had
the latest software patches. New computer worms or viruses would pop up,
taking advantage of some digital hole in the Windows operating system or
in popular Web software, and officials would work to plug the gaps.

Those were the good old days — back when many big attacks were started
by hobbyists who got a cheap thrill watching geek squads scramble.

Today a growing number of network bad guys are professional criminals,
and they're looking to steal real money. They don't just want to post an
embarrassing note on your college's home page. They want to nab the
identities of students and professors to go on shopping sprees with
forged credit cards. With the global economy getting lousier, officials
predict that even more hackers will get into the act in search of easy
cash.

Increasingly, the weakest part of a network is the users, who carelessly
give out their passwords or leave important information for the taking.

That's the conclusion I reached at a recent Dartmouth College conference
on "Securing the eCampus: Building a Culture of Information Security in
an Academic Institution," where I was asked to give my take on security
threats. I compiled the following top-10 list of campus
computer-security risks based on several recent computing surveys and
interviews with more than a dozen college-technology leaders. The list,
ordered from least to most serious, is by no means scientific, but it
gives a sense of where today's battle lines are — and why "phish"
costumes should become more common on campuses.

[...]

Help InfoSecNews.org with a donation!
http://www.infosecnews.org/donate.html