[ISN] Winnipeg businessman on hook for $52, 000 phone bill after voice mail hacked

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 03:27:06 -0600 (CST)
http://www.grandforksherald.com/articles/index.cfm?id=97781

By Megan Hurley
Canadian Press
December 17, 2008

WINNIPEG - A Winnipeg businessman is on the hook for a $52,000 phone
bill after his voice mail system was hacked and hundreds of calls were
made to Bulgaria.

Alan Davison, owner of HUB Computer Solutions, noticed something was
wrong when “feature 36” — a message unknown to him — kept popping up on
his phone.

He called Manitoba Telecom Services Inc. and discovered hundreds of
calls were recently made to Bulgaria, racking up a $52,321.14 phone bill
due Jan. 2.

“If I have to pay that whole bill out of my own pocket, I’m looking at
having to lay off one of my employees,” Davison said. “It’s quite
obvious something was right out of whack. There were hundreds of phone
calls.”

The MTS representative sent Davison an e-mail outlining how to protect
his company from long-distance theft.

Davison also reported the phone bill to the MTS fraud department.

[...]

Help InfoSecNews.org with a donation!
http://www.infosecnews.org/donate.html