[ISN] Researcher Releases Free DoS Hacking Tool

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 03:28:29 -0600 (CST)
http://www.darkreading.com/security/attacks/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=212500752

By Kelly Jackson Higgins
DarkReading
Dec 16, 2008

A researcher has unleashed a free denial-of-service (DoS) hacking tool
for flooding TCP sessions.

Called LetDown, the penetration testing tool is part of a larger package
of tools called Complemento that was created by Italian researcher Acri
Emanuele. "Complemento is a collection of tools that I originally
grokked up for my personal toolchain for solving some problems or just
for fun," Emanuele wrote in his post announcing the availability of the
tools. He also admits having concerns about releasing LetDown to the
public.

"I had some doubts, because with this tool [it] is possible to crash a
server configured in the wrong way using very slow connections, without
the need of botnets. A great fun for script kiddies," Emanuele told Dark
Reading.

"Basically, LetDown is a TCP flooder that completes the three-way
handshake and sends a requests to the server without closing the
connection," he said. "LetDown is aimed specifically at pen testers and
server owners that want to test the resiliency of their networks against
DoS attacks in order to properly configure the rules on resource
management on their systems."

[...]

Help InfoSecNews.org with a donation!
http://www.infosecnews.org/donate.html