[ISN] CastleCops: In Memorium

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 02:35:52 -0600 (CST)
http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/6323

By Michael Santo
Editor-in-Chief
RealTechNews
December 27th, 2008

CastleCops, the volunteer-run website and organization famous for
fighting phishing, highly recommended by many, has gone offline. The
site had reached its five-year anniversary in 2007.

CastleCops had made many enemies among the malware community, who used
DDOS attacks on the site as well as PayPal donations from compromised
accounts to ruin the site’s PayPal reputation.

In June, founder Paul Laudanski announced in June that he had been hired
by Microsoft to work on phishing and spam investigations, and said that
he hoped to find someone else to run the site.

On their site, CastleCops said:

    You have arrived at the CastleCops website, which is currently
    offline. It has been our pleasure to investigate online crime and
    volunteer with our virtual family to assist with your computer needs
    and make the Internet a safer place. Unfortunately, all things come
    to an end. Keep up the good fight folks, for the spirit of this
    community lies within each of us. We are empowered to improve the
    safety and security of the Internet in our own way. Let us feel
    blessed for the impact we made and the relationships created.

[...]

Please help InfoSecNews.org with a donation!
http://www.infosecnews.org/donate.html