[ISN] Customer Awareness: 6 Tips for Perfecting Your Program

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 01:09:33 -0600 (CST)
http://www.bankinfosecurity.com/articles.php?art_id=1164

By Linda McGlasson
Managing Editor
Bank Info Security
January 19, 2009

Phishing, malware and the Nigerian 404 scam. These are among the top
2009 agenda items for the M&I Corporation in Wisconsin - not just to
fight the threats, but to make customers more aware of them.

Customer awareness is a huge priority for Wisconsin's largest bank, says
Scott Coghill, CISM, Vice President, Information Security Department at
the Milwaukee-based financial services corporation, which has $63.5
billion in assets and operates in seven states.

M&I has a dedicated web page for its customers with an outline of the
most important security messages and updates. It also offers key tips in
ID theft fraud protection, a section describing how M&I is protecting
its customers, tips on how to recognize online and email fraud,
information on free ID theft assistance protection, ID theft resources
and an ID theft prevention checklist, as well as a video on ID theft.
This online information is supplemented by customer brochures at bank
branches.

"We periodically send out flyers in their monthly statements, and we
provide the same information to our call center, branch personnel,
community bankers and other areas of customer contact whenever we post
an alert regarding a new phishing or malware scam that could be of
interest to people," Coghill says.

"With the way the economy is today, the bad guys will try to look for
opportunities to take unfair advantage of situations," Coghill says,
requiring strong awareness programs for employees and customers alike.
The awareness program in place is a strong, he adds. "Our goal is to
keep that information current and relevant."

[...]

Best Selling Security Books &amp; More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/