[ISN] Obama may be able to keep his BlackBerry after all

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 01:10:03 -0600 (CST)
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10147749-38.html

By Declan McCullagh
Politics and Law
CNet News
January 21, 2009

Forget the important task of opening up government. Never mind a
recession that seems to be trying hard to be promoted to a full-scale
depression. In geekish circles, the question of the week has been: Will
President Obama manage to hang on to his BlackBerry?

Obama told us more than a year ago that it was his favorite gadget, and
he was rarely without it during the 2008 campaign. In 2001, George Bush
famously gave up e-mail, and there was plenty of speculation that Obama
would too, either for privacy or open-government reasons. Last week, we
suggested the Sectera Edge as a secure PDA-phone--it's rated for SECRET
data and TOP SECRET voice--that might do the trick.

Now we're hearing from a report on The Atlantic's Web site that Obama
will be able to keep his BlackBerry after all. Apparently it's been
outfitted with encrypted software secure enough for routine personal
messages--meaning, if this report is true, there will no Microsoft
Windows Mobile in the president's immediate future.

[...]

Best Selling Security Books &amp; More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/