[ISN] TJX holds sale related to breach of consumer data

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 01:10:29 -0600 (CST)
http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2009/01/22/tjx_holds_sale_related_to_breach_of_consumer_data/

By Jenn Abelson
Globe Staff
January 22, 2009

Framingham discounter TJX Cos. today is holding its long-anticipated
"Customer Appreciation" sale, related to the massive consumer data
breach that compromised as many as 100 million accounts.

The one-day promotion, advertised yesterday for the first time, gives
customers 15 percent off purchases, excluding gift cards and layaways.
The sale is being held at more than 2,100 TJ Maxx, Marshalls, HomeGoods,
and A.J. Wright stores nationwide.

"TJX has chosen to hold a previously planned, one-time Customer
Appreciation Day to express our appreciation to our customers for their
continued support and patronage following the criminal attack(s) on our
computer systems announced two years ago," Sherry Lang, a TJX
spokeswoman, said in a statement.

Hackers stole millions of credit and debit card numbers, along with
hundreds of thousands of driver's license numbers, from TJX's systems
dating back to 2002 in the largest theft of personal data ever reported.
A Ukrainian man who authorities allege played a key role in the breach
was sentenced to 30 years in prison in Turkey this month in an unrelated
case.

[...]

Best Selling Security Books &amp; More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/