[ISN] Security market soars post-Mumbai attacks

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 00:11:45 -0600 (CST)
http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/security/0,39044215,62050331,00.htm

By Swati Prasad
ZDNet Asia
January 23, 2009

INDIA -- India's IT sector has stepped up surveillance measures and
introduced integrated security products as safety concerns rise across
the country.

Earlier this month, Nasscom (India's trade body and chamber of commerce
for the IT-business process outsourcing industry) sent out invites for
the India Leadership Forum 2009, to be held in Mumbai in February. A
note at the end of the invite said: "At Nasscom, we understand the
security concerns that you might have following the unfortunate incident
at Mumbai. In all our conferences, we ensure that the security measures
are stringent and foolproof to the best of our ability."

The note went on to list out the security measures being undertaken at
the summit.

V. Rajendran, vice president, HCL Securities, told ZDNet Asia, since the
Mumbai attacks of Nov. 26 (26/11), "securing lives and property has
emerged as a key concern in India". As a result, companies, hotels,
retail chains and banks are seriously considering security products and
services that offer enhanced security.

"After the recent terror attacks, there is growing emphasis on deploying
technologically-enabled security systems both in the public and private
sector," Rajendran said in an e-mail interview.

Sivarama Krishnan, executive director, PricewaterhouseCoopers told ZDNet
Asia in a phone interview: "Post 26/11, companies and the government
have begun to look beyond IT--at the physical infrastructure." Their
focus is now on three key areas--security of the physical
infrastructure, the resilience of the security system and the disaster
recovery mechanism they have in place.

The IT industry is taking the security issue even more seriously. Raju
Bhatnagar, vice president, Nasscom noted: "The added impetus for the IT
sector is that it is a highly visible industry segment and very people
intensive."

[...]

Best Selling Security Books &amp; More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/