[ISN] Supt. Weis vows action in teen fake-cop case

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 00:03:24 -0600 (CST)
http://www.suntimes.com/news/24-7/1403835,cop-impersonate-secret-service-weis-012909.article

BY FRANK MAIN
Crime Reporter
Chicago Sun Times
January 29, 2009

The U.S. Secret Service will review the Chicago Police Department's
security procedures following an embarrassing breach by a 5-foot-3
14-year-old who got away with impersonating an officer for a day last
weekend, Police Supt. Jody Weis said today.

"We had a security breach," Weis said. "We had complacency" We're trying
to make sure this doesn't ever happen again."

Weis, who called a news conference to discuss the incident, said the
department is conducting its own investigation. But he would not discuss
details of how an eighth-grader identified by his mother as Vincent
Richardson was able to pose for a day as a Chicago police officer on
Saturday and ride along with an officer in a squad car.

If the probe identifies any misconduct or "inattention to duty" by
anyone in the department, Weis said, "That person will be punished."

Weis said the security breach was especially disturbing to him because,
in November 1994, in Washington, D.C., he knew two FBI agents who were
killed by a gunman who was able to enter a police station and kill them
along with a detective.

"That's why it's so serious," he said.

[...]

Best Selling Security Books &amp; More!