[ISN] CFP : Fifth CSIIRW 2009 Deadline Extended to March 1

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 01:41:55 -0600 (CST)
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS

CSIIRW-09
http://www.csiir.ornl.gov/csiirw

April 13-15, 2009

Fifth Cyber Security and Information Intelligence Research Workshop
At Oak Ridge National Laboratory and The University of Tennessee at Knoxville

Sponsored by:
Federal Business Council, Inc.
University of Tennessee, Department of EECS
National Science Foundation (pending)
In cooperation with ACM and EUROSIS

IMPORTANT DATES in 2009:

  Mar 01 (firm, was Feb 1) Extended abstracts (up to 4 pages) submitted
  Mar 20 Author notification
  Mar 27 Visitation requests submitted by all attendees (HARD deadline)
  Apr 10 Submission of presentation slides (up to 10pg 2 slides/pg) and final
               revised extended abstracts

  May 29 Publication of CSIIR Workshop Proceedings in ACM Digital
                Library (including extended abstracts and presentations)

  Jun 15 Submission deadline of full papers (optional) to HICSS
                Cyber Security and Information Intelligence Research Minitrack
                Preliminary CSIIRM CFP
SYNOPSIS:

As our dependence on the cyber infrastructure grows ever larger, more
complex and more distributed, the systems that compose it become more
prone to failures and/or exploitation. Intelligence is information
valued for its currency and relevance rather than its detail or
accuracy.  Information explosion describes the pervasive abundance of
(public/private) information and the effects of such. Gathering,
analyzing, and making use of information constitutes a business- /
sociopolitical- / military-intelligence activity and ultimately poses
significant advantages and liabilities to the survivability of "our"
society.  The combination of increased vulnerability, increased stakes
and increased threats make cyber security and information intelligence
one of the most important emerging challenges in the evolution of modern
cyberspace "mechanization."

IMPORTANT GOALS:

The aim of this workshop is to discuss (and publish) novel theoretical
and empirical research focused on (the many) different aspects of
software security/dependability, because as we know, the heart of the
cyber infrastructure is software. The scope of the workshop covers a
wide range of methodologies, techniques, and tools (i.e., applications)
to (1) assure, measure, estimate and predict software security/
dependability and (2) analyze and evaluate the impact of such
applications on software security/dependability.

We encourage researchers and practitioners from a wide swath of
professional areas (not only the programmers, designers, testers, and
methodologists but also the users and risk managers) to participate so
that we can better understand the needs (requirements), stakes and the
context of the ever evolving cyber world; where software forms the core
and security/dependability are crucial properties that must be built-in
or baked on and maintained. Secure systems must be dependable and
dependable systems fail if they are not secure. We look to software
engineering to help provide us the products and methods to accomplish
these goals.

NON-EXCLUSIVE TOPICS

We aim to challenge, establish and debate a far-reaching agenda that
broadly and comprehensively outlines a strategy for cyber security and
information intelligence that is founded on sound principles and
technologies, including and not limited to:

 + Scalable trustworthy systems (including system architectures and requisite
    development methodologies)

 + Enterprise-level metrics (including measures of overall system trustworthiness)

 + Life-cycle of System Evaluation methodologies (including approaches for
    attaining sufficient assurance)

 + Coping with insider threats

 + Coping with malware

 + Global identity management

 + System survivability

 + Situational awareness and attack attribution

 + Data provenance and integrity (relating to information, systems, and hardware)

 + Privacy-aware security and usable security

KEYNOTE SPEAKERS:

 +  Douglas Maughan, Cyber Security Research Lead, DHS S&T (CID)
 +  Eric Cole, Lockheed Martin Fellow
 +  Sal Stolfo, Professor of Computer Science, Columbia University
 +  Dawn Song, Computer Science Professor, UC Berkley
 +  Bhavani Thuaisingham, Director for Cyber Security Research Center,
     Professor of Computer Science, University of Texas at Dallas
 +  Tiffany Jones, Director, North and Latin American Government Relations at
     Symantec Corporation
 +  Mike Hinchey, Co-Director, Lero Irish Software Engineering Research Centre,
     Former Director Software Engineering Laboratory, NASA GSFC

 +  Keynote Panel Tentative Invitations:
     Melissa Hathaway, Sr. Advisor to Director of National Intelligence (ODNI)
     Intelligence Advanced Research Projects Activity (IARPA)

SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS:

Participants are invited to submit extended abstracts of no more than four pages
(single-spaced) by March 1st.
Read the full instructions:
http://www.ioc.ornl.gov/csiirw/ACM-SubmGuidelines.htm

ORGANIZATION:

General Chair:

  +  Frederick T. Sheldon, Computational Sciences and Engineering Division
      Oak Ridge National Laboratory

Program Co-Chairs:

  +  Itamar Arel, Department of EECS
      University of Tennessee

  +  Ali Mili, College of Computing Science
      New Jersey Institute of Technology

  +  Axel Krings, Computer Science Department
      University of Idaho

Best Selling Security Books &amp; More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/