[ISN] Kaiser warns nearly 30,000 employees of data breach

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 00:18:10 -0600 (CST)
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_11646163

By Sandy Kleffman
Contra Costa Times
02/06/2009

Kaiser Permanente is notifying 29,500 of its Northern California
employees that a security breach has led to the release of their
personal information, including Social Security numbers.

A "handful" of employees have reported identity thefts as a result of
the breach, Kaiser said.

The breach did not involve Kaiser member information and no personal
health details have been jeopardized, according to a written statement
issued by Gay Westfall, senior vice president of human resources for the
Kaiser Foundation Health Plan.

The stolen information included names, addresses, dates of birth and
Social Security numbers for Kaiser employees.

"We immediately launched an internal investigation and are working to
determine the source of this breach, and we are working closely with law
enforcement in their investigation," Westfall said.

[...]

Best Selling Security Books &amp; More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/