[ISN] NSPW 09 call for contributions

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 01:06:05 -0600 (CST)
Forwarded from: distribution (at) acsac.org

2009 New Security Paradigms Workshop

The Queen's College, University of Oxford, UK

September 8-11, 2009

Read the full call at  http://www.nspw.org/current/cfp.shtml

IMPORTANT DATES.

* The submission deadline: April 17, 2009, 23:59 (UTC -12, or Y time).
* Notification of acceptance: May 29, 2009.
* Camera-ready papers for pre-proceedings due: August 14, 2009.
* Workshop: September 8-11, 2009  (Note: September 8th is the day after
  Labour Day in USA and Canada).
* Camera-ready papers for proceedings due: October 24, 2009.

The New Security Paradigms Workshop (NSPW) is seeking papers that
address the current limitations of information security. Today's
security risks are diverse and plentiful--botnets, database breaches,
phishing attacks, distributed denial-of-service attacks--and yet present
tools for combatting them are insufficient. To address these
limitations, NSPW welcomes unconventional, promising approaches to
important security problems and innovative critiques of current security
practice.

We are particularly interested in perspectives from outside computer
security, both from other areas of computer science (such as operating
systems, human-computer interaction, databases, programming languages,
algorithms) and other sciences that study adversarial relationships such
as biology and economics. We discourage papers that offer incremental
improvements to security and mature work that is appropriate for
standard information security venues.

To facilitate research interactions, NSPW features informal paper
presentations, extended discussions in small and large groups, shared
activities, and group meals, all in attractive surroundings. By
encouraging researchers to think ``outside the box'' and giving them an
opportunity to communicate with open-minded peers, NSPW seeks to foster
paradigm shifts in the field of information security.

SUBMISSIONS

NSPW welcomes three categories of submissions:

* research papers,
* position papers (10 pages maximum), and
* discussion panel proposals.

Submissions should include a cover page with justification and
attendance statements. A justification statement specifies the category
of your submission and briefly describes why your submission is
appropriate for NSPW. An attendance statement specifies which of the
authors wish to attend the workshop. Note that all accepted papers are
shepherded to help authors incorporate the feedback provided throughout
the process. One author of each accepted paper must attend NSPW; other
authors may attend on a space-available basis. In order to ensure that
all papers receive equally strong feedback, all attendees are expected
to stay for the entire duration of the workshop. We expect to offer a
limited amount of financial aid to those who absolutely require it.

Final proceedings are published by the ACM after the workshop. All
submissions are treated as confidential, both as a matter of policy and
in accordance with the U.S. Copyright Act of 1976. Submissions
accompanied by nondisclosure agreement forms will not be considered.

NSPW is an ACSA Conference, sponsored by Applied Computer Security
Associates, a group of professionals who are working to facilitate
information sharing among colleagues. We're an all-volunteer
not-for-profit organization.  Our postal address is 2906 Covington Road,
Silver Spring, MD  20910-1206.

Best Selling Security Books &amp; More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/