[ISN] On the trail of the Analyzer: How one of the world's most notorious hackers ended up in a Canadian jail cell

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 02:25:40 -0600 (CST)
http://www2.canada.com/trail+analyzer+world+most+notorious+hackers+ended+canadian+jail+cell/1298297/story.html?id=1298297

By Richard Cuthbertson
Canwest News Service
February 17, 2009

CALGARY - A decade ago he became a cult hero for hacking into the U.S.
Pentagon's computer systems.

Today, Ehud Tenenbaum is languishing behind bars in a Calgary jail cell,
where he has been held for six months and has thought about killing
himself.

``I feel I am in jail inside of jail,'' Tenenbaum wrote last September
to officials at Calgary Remand Centre. ``I can't even sleep with the
sleeping pills.''

He has shared a cell with two other inmates and slept on a mattress next
to the toilet, the same place where he ate his meals. A practicing Jew,
he was denied kosher food and lost weight.

He has contemplated methods of suicide in detail, according to a
psychiatrist.

Tenenbaum is facing charges accusing him of masterminding a global
operation that hacked into financial institutions across North America.

Police allege he helped manipulate and steal credit and debit card
information, ferrying the data to accomplices in what investigators say
was a highly organized criminal conspiracy that stole millions of
dollars.

But how did he get here? How did one of the world's a computer hackers
who once drew even the admiration of an Israeli prime minister find
himself living in a a 2.5-by-3.5-metre cell?

His story starts with a knock on the door of his family's home in Hod
HaSharon, a city a few kilometres northeast of Tel Aviv, one morning in
1998.

[...]

Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/