[ISN] Pop Superstar Sting Supports Pentagon Hacker, Condemns U.S.

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 06:14:20 -0600 (CST)
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/03/pop-superstar-s.html

By Kevin Poulsen
Threat Level
Wired.com
March 03, 2009

International pop star Sting is the latest British celebrity to throw
his weight behind 9/11 truther and admitted Pentagon hacker Gary
McKinnon, the U.K. man who's still fighting tooth and nail to avoid a
U.S. trial on computer hacking charges.

"It's a travesty of human rights that Gary McKinnon finds himself in
this dreadful situation," the former Police front man told the Mail on
Sunday.

"The U.S. response in relation to the true nature of Gary's crime is
disproportionate in the extreme," Sting said, referring to the extremely
disproportionate response of charging a 42-year-old man with computer
intrusion, when all he did was intrude into some computers.

Prosecutors say McKinnon broke into more than 90 unclassified Pentagon
systems in 2001 and 2002, allegedly crashing some of them. He has said
he was looking for proof of a UFO cover-up, though he left this message
in an Army computer in 2002:  "U.S. foreign policy is akin to
government-sponsored terrorism these days ... It was not a mistake that
there was a huge security stand down on September 11 last year ... I am
SOLO. I will continue to disrupt at the highest levels."

[...]

Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/