[ISN] CIA, NSA Adopting Web 2.0 Strategies

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 00:28:51 -0600 (CST)
http://www.informationweek.com/news/internet/web2.0/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=215801627

By J. Nicholas Hoover
InformationWeek
March 10, 2009

While the United States intelligence community may have gotten a lot of
publicity for its Wikipedia-like Intellipedia Web site, agencies like
the Central Intelligence Agency and National Security Agency are ramping
up their use of other social and Web-inspired software as well.

Intellipedia has been a success -- with 830,000 pages, it's the crown
jewel of the intelligence community's proof that information sharing is
better in the wake of the 9/11 attacks -- but Michael Kennedy, director
of enterprise solutions for the intelligence community, said the
government can't rest on its laurels. He admits criticism that
Intellipedia has matured, and while it remains a centerpiece, he said
the government also needs to keep moving onto the next big thing.

"We don't know what the next great tool is going to be for the users,"
he said during a panel discussion Tuesday at the FOSE conference in
Washington, D.C. "We just know there will be one very soon, and we want
to be there, whatever it is."

For example, intelligence agency employees now exchange about 5 million
daily instant messages via Jabber and IBM (NYSE: IBM) Sametime. A search
engine based on Google technologies has indexed 92 million documents and
handles 2 million queries every month. A new site allows employees to
share and analyze photos and videos of events like a test last year that
destroyed a failing satellite with a missile.

[...]

Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/