Re: [ISN] Cybercrime-as-a-service takes off

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 02:12:18 -0600 (CST)
Forwarded from: Dave Dittrich <dittrich (at) u.washington.edu>

> http://www.itnews.com.au/News/98524,cybercrimeasaservice-takes-off.aspx
>
> By Ry Crozier
> ITNews
>
> Malware writers that sell toolkits online for as little as $400 will
> now configure and host the attacks as a service for another $50, a
> security expert has said.
>
> Speaking at the Vasco Banking Summit in Sydney yesterday, the
> company's technical account manager, Vlado Vajdic, told delegates that
> cyber crime was becoming so business-like that online offerings of
> malicious code often included support and maintenance services.
>
> Additionally, he said, cybercrime outsourcing would become a key trend
> in 2009.

I'm sorry to have to burst the prediction bubble here, but this has been
going on for several years.  I have maintained a web page on DDoS
attacks since 1999. Search the page for the word "hire" and you will
find several stories of cybercrime-as-a-service from 2005:

http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich/misc/ddos/

Specifically, start reading at page 15 of "U.S. v. James Jeanson
Ancheta" and you will see an offering of malicious code, including
support and maintenance services:

http://news.findlaw.com/hdocs/docs/cyberlaw/usanchetaind.pdf

There are two other cases in the same section of the web page where the
FBI successfully investigated and brought indictments on similar
"DDoS-for-hire" cases. The other two do not involve selling the service
to third parties (with support and maintenance), but do show that people
have been paid to create/use botnets for financial crimes. When
something makes it into the legal process, which means it is causing
damages significant enough to justify application of the expensive legal
process, I would say the trend has already been well established.

Note to reporters: When writing a story about predictions of future
trends, check my web page first (or contact me directly) and see if the
story is really new.

--
Dave Dittrich
dittrich (at) u.washington.edu
http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich

PGP key      http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich/pgpkey.txt
Fingerprint  FE97 0C57 0843 F3EB 49A1  0CD0 8E0C D0BE C838 CCB5

Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/