[ISN] In cybersecurity, there are no silver bullets

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 01:27:03 -0600 (CST)
http://gcn.com/articles/2009/03/17/cyber-security-panel-031709.aspx

By William Jackson
GCN.com
March 17, 2009

Members of a panel of security experts today painted a gloomy picture of
the cybersecurity landscape, in which rapidly evolving threats and
conditions ensure that even the best solutions are likely to remain
piecemeal and temporary.

Security efforts should focus on assessing and managing risk to
information, members of the panel of industry and government officials
said, and baseline security requirements mandated by government cannot
be expected provide adequate security across the board.

“We should go in with our eyes open to the reality that if somebody
wants the information, no matter what the baseline, they will get it,”
said Wayne Fullerton, solutions and operations director for Cisco
Systems Inc.’s U.S. federal organization.

Levels of security need to be assigned to a given piece of information
based on its value to the owner and to those who could steal it. After
the cost of stealing information drops below its perceived value, “if
people really want it, they will get it,” Fullerton said.

[...]

Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/