[ISN] Cyber war tops Public Safety agenda

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 01:27:53 -0600 (CST)
http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/canada/2009/03/17/8779041.html#/news/canada/2009/03/17/pf-8774296.html

By KATHLEEN HARRIS
NATIONAL BUREAU CHIEF
Winnipeg Sun
17th March 2009

Canada is facing a growing threat of cyber attacks from hostile
governments and criminals that could cripple critical infrastructure and
financial systems, says Public Safety Minister Peter Van Loan.

In an interview from Washington, Van Loan said cyberspace and border
security will top the agenda for high-level meetings with his American
counterparts.

Potential infiltration and attacks plotted and executed over the
Internet have emerged as a major security threat of common interest to
Canada, the U.S. and other Western countries, he said.

"It's kind of like the new arms race, because what you do on security
and what the other guys do trying to breach security is a constant
escalation," he said.

Pointing to past cyber attacks in Georgia and Estonia that ground
government to a halt, Van Loan said threats could come from foreign
governments, profit-driven criminals or menacing youth getting a kick
out of causing havoc. He declined to comment on specific attempts to
target Canada.

"I think it's fair to say just about every day somewhere someone's
trying to breach some of our security systems in our computers," he
said.

[...]

Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/