[ISN] GAO: SEC cybersecurity program is incomplete

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 00:15:36 -0600 (CST)
http://gcn.com/articles/2009/03/18/sec-security-controls.aspx

By William Jackson
GCN.com
March 18, 2009

The Securities and Exchange Commission has corrected some weaknesses
identified in its information security controls in the past two years,
but the lack of a comprehensive information security program has let
weaknesses accumulate faster than they have been resolved, according to
the Government Accountability Office.

“In our report on SEC’s financial statements for fiscal years 2008 and
2007, we concluded that weaknesses in information security controls
constitute a significant deficiency in internal controls over the
information systems and data used for financial reporting,” GAO auditors
wrote in a recently released report.

SEC has corrected or mitigated 18 of 34 weaknesses reported in a 2008
audit, GAO said. But in addition to the 16 problems not yet addressed,
GAO identified 23 new ones. “A key reason for these weaknesses was that
SEC did not fully implement key activities of its information security
program,” the report states.

Among the missing components of SEC's security program:

[...]

Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/