[ISN] Despite Hype, Security Pros Not Panicked About External Threats

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 02:05:48 -0600 (CST)
http://www.darkreading.com/insiderthreat/security/attacks/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=216401823

By Tim Wilson
DarkReading
March 30, 2009

Despite the hoopla surrounding the growth of Conficker and other
malware, most security managers aren't lying awake worrying about
external attacks on their systems, according to a report published today
by Dark Reading and InformationWeek Analytics.

The study, called "What Keeps IT Security Pros Awake At Night," offers
insight about the attitudes, plans, and concerns of security
professionals in a wide variety of industries.

As we reported in our data "sneak peek" earlier this month, the survey
shows a marked shift in focus from external threats to internal threats,
particularly those in which well-meaning employees unintentionally
expose sensitive data. The study indicates that a majority of security
professionals now see internal leaks as the greatest threat to their
organizations.

Interestingly, despite many reports that indicate malware, such as
Conficker and other exploits, are growing at record rates, most security
pros are not panicked about the external threat. In fact, attacks from
the outside are generally viewed to be much less likely than insider
attacks.

[...]

Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/