[ISN] UltraDNS service knocked offline by attack

From: InfoSec News <alerts_at_private>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 01:20:51 -0600 (CST)
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/033109-ultradns-service-attacked.html

By Carolyn Duffy Marsan
Network World
03/31/2009

NeuStar confirmed that its UltraDNS managed DNS service was knocked
offline for several hours Tuesday morning by a distributed denial of
service attack.

``Early this morning, our monitoring systems detected a significant
denial of service attack, which affected a small subset of our
customers, in some cases for as long as a few hours,’’ the Reston, Va.
company said in a statement. ``While we continue to investigate the
cause, the extent, and the duration of the attack, service was
completely restored by 10 a.m. EST.’’

NeuStar is a leading provider of high-availability DNS services to
e-retailers including J.Jill and Diamond.com as well as high-tech
companies such as Oracle and Juniper.

Competitor Dynamic Network Services blogged about the UltraDNS outage
earlier today, asserting that it affected Amazon.com, SalesForce.com,
advertising.com and Petco.com.

[...]

Best Selling Security Books and More!
http://www.shopinfosecnews.org/